"Enlightenment, Some Assembly Required," essay co-authored with Chad Wellmon, The Eighteenth Centuries
(book chapter, U.Va. Press, forthcoming). Preprint
- "The Enlightenment Index," co-authored with Chad Wellmon, The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 56:3 (Fall, 2015): 359-382.
- People of the Book Interview Series. Interviewed by Gretchen E. Henderson. Ploughshares (January 27, 2014).
- "This is Not a Book: Thomas Jefferson & Apple's App Store," co-authored with John O'Brien, Chronicle of Higher Education (September 4, 2013).
- Guest editor, with Simone Polillo, of a special journal volume on money and metaphors: Journal of Cultural Economy 4:3 (August 2011). Republished as Beyond Liquidity: The Metaphor of Money in Financial Crisis (Routledge, 2013).
- "Meaning and Mining: The Impact of Implicit Assumptions in Data-Mining for the Humanities" (co-authored with D. Sculley, Computer Science Department, Tufts University), Literary and Linguistic Computing 23:4 (2008): 409-424.
- "Mining Millions of Metaphors" (co-authored with D. Sculley), Literary and Linguistic Computing 23:3 (2008): 345-360.
- A review of Emily Hodgson Anderson’s "Mansfield Park and the 'Womanly Style' in Fiction" was published in the March newsletter of the UCLA Center for the Study of Women, 2007.
Recent Conferences and Presentations
- “Josephine Miles and the Pre-Digital Digital Humanities,” Early Modern Digital Agenda Meeting, Folger Library, May of 2016.
- “How Soliloquy Became Thinkable,” Novel Knowledge, Stanford University, May of 2016.
- “‘Various pieces inlaid’: Poetry as Marquetry,” ASECS Meeting, Pittsburgh, March of 2016.
- "'Various pieces inlaid': Poetry as Marquetry," ASECS Meeting in Pittsburgh, April of 2016.
- Book Discussion: "Metaphors of Mind," Columbia University, Eighteenth Century Colloquium, March of 2016.
- "Drawn from Dryden, Plundered from Pope," NEASECS Meeting, Hartford, October of 2015.
- "Poetic Diction: Tokens and Change," Moore Institute, NUI Galway, June of 2015.
"Metaphors of Mind: An Eighteenth-Century Dictionary," Wesleyan University, 18th-Century Studies Working Group, October of 2014.
"Giving Back the Image of the Mind: Computational Approaches to 'Propriety' in Eighteenth-Century British Literature," Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Workshop on Metaphor in NLP, June of 2014.
- "The Enlightenment Index," University of Michigan Latour Colloquium, December of 2013.
"Mining Literature," UVACSE Summit: Big Data 2, University of Virginia, May of 2013.
- "Das Publikum: Some Assembly Required," co-authored with Chad Wellmon, Rewriting the Eighteenth Centuries, a Symposium at U.Va., March 2013.
- "The Enlightenment Index," University of Michigan, Latour Colloquium, December of 2013.
- "How Soliloquy Became Thinkable," Faculty Lecture Series, U.Va., April 2013.
- "Figurative Empiricism: The Matter of Metaphors for Mind," ASECS meeting in Cleveland, April 2013.
- NEH Institute, Early Modern Digital Agendas: Advanced Topics (June, 2015)
- Moore Institute, Visiting Fellow in the Digital Humanities (May and June, 2015)
IATH Associate Fellowship, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016
Teaching award from the O.W.L. Society, for "distinguished teaching of the written word at the University of Virginia," 2014
- University of Virginia Teaching Fellowship, 2010-2011
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Annenberg Center for Communication, University of Southern California, 2006-2007
- Dissertation awarded the Alden Prize for most distinguished dissertation in the Department of English, 2006
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Doctoral Fellowship, 2005-2006
- Geballe Dissertation Prize Fellowship, 2004-2005
- Doctoral Fellowship, English Department, Stanford University, 2000-2004
- Undergraduate thesis awarded the David Blair McLaughlin Prize for Creative Writing, 1997
MLA Discussion Group on Computer Studies (serving 2009-2015)
Associate Director, 18thConnect