- “Haiti,” essay for Critical Terms for Southern Studies, ed. Jennifer Greeson and Scott Romine (forthcoming)
- “Humanism and the (Other) American Revolution” in Humanism and Revolution: Eighteenth-Century Europe and Its Transatlantic Legacy (Heidelberg UP, 2015)
- “Mistranslation, Unsettlement, and La Navidad,” PMLA (October 2014)
- “The Transamerican Novel,” The American Novel: Beginnings to 1870, Oxford History of the Novel series (2014)
- “Cabeza de Vaca, Lope de Oviedo, and Americas Exceptionalism” for Blackwell Companion to American Literary Studies (2011)
- “Writing Unsettlement,” special issue on Atlantic History in Clio: A Journal of Literature, History, and the Philosophy of History (2011)
- “Scholarship and the State: Robert Greenhow and Transnational American Studies 1848/2008.” American Literary History (Fall, 2008)
- "Hemispheric Jamestown." Hemispheric American Studies, ed. Caroline Levander and Robert Levine (Invited by editors, Rutgers University Press, 2008).
- "L’Ouragan de Flammes (The Hurricane of Flames): New Orleans and Transamerican Catastrophe, 1866/2005." American Quarterly (December 2007).
- "Autobiografia de un esclavo, 'El negro mártir,' and the Revisionist Geographies of Abolitionism." American Cultural Geographies, ed. Hsuan Hsu (Invited by editor; Delaware University Press, 2007).
For The Unsettlement of America, Oxford University Press 2014:
- Annual James Russell Lowell Prize from the MLA (2015)
- Inaugural Prize in Early American Literature from the Society of Early Americanists and and the MLA's Division on American Literature to 1800 (2015)
- Honorable Mention for the John Hope Franklin Award, American Studies Association (2015)
For Transamerican Literary Relations and the Nineteenth-Century Public Sphere, Cambridge University Press, 2004:
- Gustave Arlt Award for Best First Book in the Humanities, Council of Graduate Schools (2005)
- Honorable Mention for the Lora Romero Award, American Studies Association (2005)